3rd option for temporary library should be explored...
Release Date: August 27, 2006
Last week the Town Board unanimously approved a resolution indicating that we will finalize our decision by September 5th re: temporary library location during construction of the expanded/renovated building. Two options are currently being explored: 1) Renting Frank's nursery off of Dobbs Ferry Road for a temporary library construction location. The entire library would move to Frank's while construction takes place. 2) If Frank's is not rented the library would move the library to satellite smaller locations - rooms at the Town Hall, and other municipal buildings would be used as to provide library services. Smaller locations may also be rented out for satellite library services. This option will result in a reduction of services.
A THIRD OPTION SHOULD BE CONSIDERED--OPERATE OLD BUILDING WHILE NEW BUILDING IS BEING BUILT..AFTER NEW BUILDING IS FINISHED MOVE ENTIRE LIBRARY TO NEW BUILDING AND RENOVATE OLD..
During the past few days I have spoken to some residents who have expertise in construction. A 3rd option was suggested: Continue to operate our existing library. Build the new library addition while the current library operates. When the new addition is finished close the old library, move the entire library to the new building and renovate the older building. This option would result in no reduction in services since the new addition is about the same size as the old addition...no additional storage expenses...Many municipal buildings have been expanded without having to move during the construction period.
I am requesting a meeting with the architect THIS WEEK, in advance of the September 5th meeting. I would like to discuss this third option with the architect. I want to make sure that prior to a decision being made that all options have been considered and explained. I want to emphasize that I am not advocating this option at the present time - but I do think that this is an option deserving of consideration. I would like the architect to present the Town Board with a cost analysis re: this option. I also will discuss, with the architect, other suggestions that citizens have been making that might result in a better library. In the spirit of open government - residents will be invited to attend this informal meeting. If you would like to be advised of the date/time of the meeting- please advise.