Back to Article List
MAJOR OPEN GOVERNMENT, FINANCIAL INITIATIVES TO BE TAKEN BY NEW TOWN BD, EFFECTIVE AT MIDNIGHT!
Release Date: December 31, 2007
Sonja Brown & Kevin Morgan assume office as our new Greenburgh Town Board members tonight at midnight. And, Judith Beville will be the new Town Clerk. Three swearing in ceremonies are being held: Thursday, January 3 9:15 AM at Bailey School (Hillside Ave); Friday, January 4th at 9:15 AM at the NY School for the Deaf (Knollwood Road) and on Wednesday January 9th at 7:30 PM at the first meeting of the Greenburgh Town Board, Town Hall. Greenburgh Town Supervisor Paul Feiner will also be sworn into office at the same times.
Supervisor Feiner, Councilmembers-elect Sonja Brown, Kevin Morgan & Judith Beville announced some major open government initiatives:
1) Work sessions will be televised by the Town Board.
2) Work sessions will be streamed live on the internet so people can watch the work sessions if they are unable to get to Town Hall.
3) The Town Board meetings will be streamed live on the internet.
4) All agendas of work sessions will be posted 24 hours in advance of work session meetings. In the past agendas were not posted until the mid morning of the afternoon work session.
5) The public will have two opportunities to speak at each meeting—at the beginning of each Town Board meeting and at the end of the meeting. Meetings of the Town Board will start at 7:30 PM. From 7:30 PM to 8:30 PM residents will have the chance to speak on any town topic for up to 3 minutes. Residents can sign up in advance of the meeting by contacting the Town Clerks office and will be told how many other speakers previously signed up to speak. Residents can also sign up at the Board meeting. This will enable people to schedule themselves appropriately. Those who wish to speak on topics will not have to wait till the end of the meeting to express their views on issues. At the end of the meeting (after the Town Board votes on legislative initiatives) the public will have a chance to speak again – for up to five minutes.
6) All meetings of the Town Board will end no later than 11 PM.
7) Written minutes of Town Board meetings will also be posted on the town web site. In the past written minutes of the Board meetings were not posted on the web site, making it difficult for residents to review records of past meetings.
1) By March 1st a plan must be presented to the Town Board by the Supervisor regarding posting detailed spending summaries by department on the town web site. We want all spending to be open and transparent.
2) Department heads will no longer be authorized to hire part time/full time staff without consulting members of the Town Board. Before any hiring takes place the department head will be asked to justify the position, advise the Board of the ramifications of keeping positions vacant longer. This new initiative will enable the Board to control and monitor spending and hiring.
TOWN BOARD TO HOLD WORK SESSION (EXECUTIVE SESSION) TO DISCUSS PERSONNEL MATTERS ON Wednesday evening, January 2nd from 7:15 PM to approximately 8:15 PM.