We are almost ready to inaugurate an exciting new program: a Children’s Garden at Harts Brook Nature Preserve. This garden, located off of Ridge Road, will be for children. Children will be able to sign up for an individual 4 feet by 8 feet raised bed. Each bed will have a Master Gardener assigned as a mentor. 12 beds will be assigned out. Rules for sign up are as follows:
1) Child participant(s) must be at least 8 years old. A child participant, or a small group of children working in one garden bed, must be accompanied by an adult whose responsibilities will be to garden with the child and to be TOTALLY responsible for the child's behavior.
2) Each participant should expect to spend approximately 2 hours, 2 times per week working in the garden throughout the growing season. This year the season will start in early July and run through the end of October. The adult assigned to the garden bed with the child will establish the schedule with the Master Gardener mentor assigned to the bed. Up to 8 hours of absences will be permitted per participant to accommodate vacations, illnesses, etc. THE ASSIGNED MG MENTORMUST BE NOTIFIED IN ADVANCE OF ABSENCES OR THE GARDEN BED MAY BE FORFEITED.
3) Tasks will include: seed starting, transplanting, watering, weeding and harvesting. Participants make take home all produce grown.
4) Some tools will be provided but participants are asked to bring hand tools and gardening gloves if possible.
5) No one will be allowed in the garden other than at their assigned times.
If you are interested in having your child sign up for the Children’s Garden program please e mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.