Back to Article List
SHARED SERVICES..FANTASTIC ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT NEWS...FUN EVENTS
Release Date: November 22, 2009
Earlier this week the Greenburgh Town Board and Dobbs Ferry Village Board met with a consultant who presented us with a report: shared services for the police. More sharing could result in greater efficiencies and reduced operating costs. The report is posted on our website: www.greenburghny.com. There will be follow up meetings.
The Town Board meets Monday. Among initiatives to be taken:
Vote on rezone that will allow supermarket (Stop & SHop to be built in Greenburgh ---more ratables, more competition, more jobs!...significant additional benefits for unincorporated Greenburgh)
Vote on a PILOT for a major bio tech company that will be expanding. Good for our tax base...more jobs...more building permit fees....very good news for our town.
Testimonials for outgoing police chief John Kapica. Appointment of Joe DeCarlo as new Police Chief.
Update: steps to be taken to sell waterwheel property in Ardsley. (lots of NEW interest in this property since auction)
Budget hearing 2010 budget.
The Weekend Listings on RivertownsGuide.com…..
- Farmers Markets (Hastings Winter Market Schedule now listed)
- Annual Pottery-on-Hudson Show and Sale, Pottery-on-Hudson, Dobbs Ferry
- Looking at Architecture: Three-Day Exhibition, Arts Exchange, White Plains
- Tarrytown Third Friday
- Opening Reception: Clay Pot Luck Holiday Pottery Sale, Garrison Art Center
- "The Witches", Dobbs Ferry Middle School
- "The Bad Seed", Sleepy Hollow High School
- The Machine: America's Premier PINK FLOYD Experience, Tarrytown Music Hall
- Modern Acoustic Rock with Aipotu in Dobbs
- Presenting Jazz/Classical Guitarist and Composer, Margaret Slovak in Tarrytown & Hastings
- Motivators & Creators present Holiday Highlights 2099 Women’s Expo, New Rochelle
- Free-A-Tree Cutting Kick off!, Hastings
- Awaken Wellness Fair, Tarrytown
- Rivertown Crafts, James Harmon Community Center, Hastings
- Food in the Time of Thanksgiving! Philipse Manor Hall, Yonkers
- M&M Productions will Present The Good Doctor, Irvington Public Library
- 3rd Annual Harvest Moon Dinner and 17th Annual Harvest Moon Ball, Hastings High School
- ArtsWestchester: Annual Black Tie Gala & Silent Auction, Tarrytown
- 5th Annual GALA: All Things French, South Presbyterian Church, Dobbs Ferry
- Brothers-in-Song Tour: Anthony Da Costa & John Elliott, Common Ground Coffeehouse, Hastings
- Downbeat Poll Winner, Grammy Nominee, JAZZ at the Turning Point Café, Piermont
- Gato Barbieri, Presented by Jazz Forum Arts, Tarrytown Music Hall
- Brazilian Sounds with Acai, Dobbs Ferry
- Tarot by Valerie, Dobbs Ferry
- Screening "The Woodsman", Hastings Public Library
- Marc Cohn - An Evening of Music and Conversation, Tarrytown Music Hall
Join the Bone Marrow Registry: Sunday, November 22, from 9am – 1pm
Bone Marrow Donor Drive, Temple Beth Abraham, Tarrytown
Alan Cohen, Dobbs Ferry resident and member of Temple Beth Abraham, is suffering from Leukemia and is in desperate need of a bone marrow transplant. So far he has not been able to find a match. Testing will be done at Temple Beth Abraham, 25 Leroy Avenue, Tarrytown, New York by ICLA Da Silva Foundation. The best chance he has is for a match within the community of Jews from Ashkenazic descent, especially someone who is a cohanim (those with last names of Cohen, Kahn, Kagan, etc.) The test is easy, just a swap of a cheek cell. Go to http://tinyurl.com/ArdsleyDrive for more information.
Holiday Boutique at Andrus on Hudson, 185 Old Broadway, Hastings
Friday, November 20 from 10am- 4pm & Saturday, November 21 from 9am - 4pm
Gilda's Club Westchester Annual Holiday Boutique
Please join us on Friday, December 4th for a day of shopping and giving. A percentage of proceeds from the day will go directly to Gilda's Club Westchester. New and Unique vendors this year including clothing for all, monogrammed home and personal items, jewelry, stationery, sweet delights, baked goods, peanut butters, men's and women's accessories, hot items for kids, handbags, and more. Admission is free, children are welcome, and hours are 10:00am-3:30pm and 5:00pm-8:00pm. Come out for a day of shopping and help support our organization that supports so many in our community.
Free Arts Day
ArtsWestchester’s perennially popular Free Arts Day is set for Sunday December 6, 2009! Arts lovers of all ages will be welcomed by open doors at cultural sites throughout the county. This one-day-only event features Westchester’s finest arts organizations that will offer free admissions to their museums, arts centers and historical sites while hosting music and dance performances, storytelling performances, and workshops for every taste. Events generally occur between 12-5 p.m. (with some exceptions (see schedule). Bring the entire family and celebrate with us! FREE ARTS DAY 2009 is coordinated by ArtsWestchester, and sponsored by Target, and Ronald McDonald House Charities. For more information call ArtsWestchester at 914-428-4220 or visit http://www.artswestchester.org/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=297
Think Thrifty: A Benefit for the Hudson River School of Music
Now that they no longer run the preschool, they are selling all of the books, puzzles, furniture, playground equipment, manipulatives, blocks, trucks, bikes, etc., from the preschool. You'll find loads of gifts for the children in your lives at very reasonable prices. Feel free to invite your friends! Monday, December 7 – Wednesday, December 9 from 3:30pm - 5:30pm, and Thursday, December 10 from 11am - 5pm.
Upcoming Films in the Area
Irvington Town Hall Theater
-- "Big Fan" - Wednesday, November 25 @ 8pm
-- "Cosi Fan Tutte" - Sunday, November 29 @ 1pm
-- "The Horse Boy" - Wednesday, December 2 @ 8pm
Save the Date . . . . .
- Friday, November 27 -- Blood Drive | Hastings Public Library
- Tuesday, December 1 -- “Nanuet Cares” | Nanuet Public Library, Community Room
- Thursday, December 3 -- Holidaze Shopping Extravaganza | JW Tumbles, Rye Brook
- Friday, December 4 – Hastings Friday Night LIVE – Holiday Celebration
- Friday, December 4 -- Gilda's Club Westchester Annual Holiday Boutique | The Gilda’s Club of Westchester Townhouse, White Plains
- Sunday, December 6 - Sonny Rollins Performs Benefit Concert for Clearwater! Presented by Jazz Forum Arts at Tarrytown Music Hall
- Thursday, December 10 -- Think Globally, Sing Locally, Take Me to the River Children's Community Chorus Sing with Legendary Folk Singer Pete Seeger | South Presbyterian Church, Dobbs Ferry
another interesting website: thehudsonindependent.com lots of info about our communities!